What is TWIC

Understand what Transportation Workers Identification Credential is. How to get TWIC registration for trucking.

The Transportation Worker Identification Credential program is a Transportation Security Administration and U.S. Coast Guard initiative for truck drivers. The program provides a tamper-resistant biometric credential to maritime workers requiring unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, outer continental shelf facilities, and vessels regulated under the Maritime Transportation Security Act, or MTSA, and all U.S. Coast Guard credentialed merchant mariners.

Most major U.S. Ports now require the Transportation Workers Identification Credential for truck drivers, longshoremen and other workers who enter a port.

Apply for Your card Today. That’s right – if you access a port as part of your job, chances are you will need a Transportation Worker Identification Credential, a biometric “smart” card that makes sure only trusted people have access to secure areas of the port.

An estimated 1,000,000 individuals including truck drivers will require get a card. To obtain a card, an individual must provide biographic and biometric information such as fingerprints, sit for a digital photograph and successfully pass a security threat assessment conducted by TSA.

The TSA uses the enrollee's biographic information provided on the application and his or her fingerprint submission to investigate criminal history, immigration status, and mental capacity. Applications are also crossed referenced against terrorist watch lists ,Interpol, and international data base.

The program’s goals are:

* Positively identify authorized individuals who require unescorted access to secure areas of the nation’s maritime transportation system;

* Determine the eligibility of an individual to be authorized unescorted access to secure areas of the maritime transportation system;

* Enhance security by ensuring that unauthorized individuals are denied unescorted access to secure areas of the nation’s maritime transportation system; and,

* Identify individuals who fail to maintain their eligibility qualifications after being permitted unescorted access to secure areas of the nation’s maritime transportation system and revoke the individual’s permissions.

An estimated 1,000,000 individuals will be required to obtain a card. This includes Coast Guard-credentialed merchant mariners, port facility employees, longshoremen, truck drivers, and others requiring unescorted access to secure areas of maritime facilities and vessels regulated by the Maritime Transportation Security Act.

The enrollment process consists of the following components: optional pre-enrollment, in-person enrollment, fee collection, security threat assessment and notification of the results, and issuance of the card to the applicant. Truck drivers may pre-enroll online to enter all of the biographic information required for the threat assessment and make an appointment at the enrollment center to complete the process (although appointments are not required). Then applicants must visit the enrollment center where they will review and sign a Application Disclosure Form,' provide biographic information and a complete set of fingerprints, sit for a digital photograph, and pay the enrollment fee.


The truck driver must bring identity verification documents to enrollment and in the case of aliens, immigration documents that verify their immigration status, so that the documents can be scanned into the electronic enrollment record.

The process is easy

• Step One is simply visit tsa.gov to use an easy online pre-enrollment and schedule an appointment, or calling 1-866-DHS-TWIC to do this over the phone. You may also just walk in to the nearest enrollment center.

• Step Two is when you’ll visit your local enrollment center in person, producing your identification documents, getting photographed, and submitting your fingerprints. Your application is then encrypted and securely sent to the government for a background check.

• Step Three – you’ll be notified by e-mail or phone (whatever your preference) that your card is ready. You can make an appointment online or via phone or stop by the enrollment center where you originally applied. There, your identity will be verified and your card will be activated.

Please note that while walk-ins are welcome,scheduling an appointment will reduce your time spent waiting at the enrollment center.

You’ll need your card soon. The U.S. Coast Guard has begin enforcing the use of TWIC for certain ports, and will continue to phase in compliance nationwide. Check out www.tsa.gov/twic and click on “When Do I Need My TWIC?” to see when you’ll need yours.


A card costs $132.50 and is good for five years.

Your card will expire five years from the date of the comparable credential. If you opt go for the lesser fee, it would be wise to do so within 12 months of receiving the other threat assessment. After 12 months, it is more cost effective to pay the full fee for TSA to complete the security threat assessment and issue a card with an expiration date five years form the date of issuance. For those applicants seeking to pay the reduced fee, they must present the comparable credential at the time of enrollment.

Find out more information:

Visit www.tsa.gov/twic or call 1-866-DHS-TWIC for frequently asked questions, to pre-enroll, make an appointment for activation and enrollment, find a convenient enrollment center, learn which ports are scheduled for compliance, etc.

Return to Truck Laws and Regulations.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

Recent Articles

  1. Different trucks

    Feb 23, 21 07:14 PM

    How does your truck make you feel? Proud, ashamed, cool, important etc? And what truck brand do you use?

    Read More

  2. Old James Freight

    Feb 09, 21 07:59 PM

    Old James Freight of Des Plaines, IL. DOT# 3224408. Owner is Bogdan Roman, assuming that is his real name. Check their website. Very polished, and full

    Read More

  3. Freight Brokering Industry

    Jan 15, 21 08:47 PM


    Read More